Merry Christmas, 2019


That time of the year again. It has been a YEAR, this one. Seriously, I feel like I say this every year but this one is a little different. While the time moved seemingly fast, I felt every moment of it. I was done with this year last month, it felt like it had been going on for far too long. Disappointing series finales (yes GOT, I am talking to you) to finding a political voice, we've been through a lot.

But now as we approach the last week, it's time to look back and see what I learnt through this year.

I learnt that it is okay to not want to be unhappy anymore.

I learnt that parents, however, woke, will still take mental health lightly.

I also learnt that even though they might take it lightly it doesn't mean that you need to stop talking to them about it. Talk to them, keep repeating yourself until they see it as a real issue.

I learnt that the older you get physical proximity somehow stops mattering less and less in friendships.

I learnt that regardless of who you are as a person, you can still form deep and meaningful relationships and friendships even at a later stage in your life.

I learnt that sometimes it is okay to let go of a difficult road and pick the easy one if that means you will ultimately feel better about yourself. Everything you want to achieve need not come through the difficult way.

I learnt that an apology doesn't matter until the actions that follow convey how sorry you are, continuously.

I learnt that trust is really difficult to come by.

I learnt that rekindling an old flame is like putting a person on a ventilator. There's a 10 per cent chance of them coming off the ventilator and staying around longer, but in all probability, it is headed towards the end.

I learnt that some friendships are like bad marriages, you love them, but sometimes you stop liking them.

I also learnt that those people will never leave your lives and will always come back even if they do.

I learnt that tolerating disrespect is one of the non-written deliverables on a salary slip/appointment letter.

I also learnt that sometimes no salary is worth it.

I learnt that the floor is a good place to lie down and contemplate if you are feeling particularly anxious.

I learnt that I don't hate the colour yellow as much as I used to back in the day.

I learnt that if you are too modest about your talents, people assume you don't have any.

I learnt that having a strong sense of aesthetic is a talent.

I learnt that a sense of responsibility can be felt without having any sort of attachments or feelings.

I learnt that I have a huge cup noodles problem, huge.

I learnt to love my short new haircut after having multiple panic attacks.

I learnt that if you don't expect a response every time you send out a message, you won't be hurt about being left on read.

I learnt that giving yourself a deadline sometimes works wonders in lifting mental blocks.

I learnt that parents are also transitioning into considering you as adults. They might not listen to you, which is why you need to keep repeating yourself.

I learnt that sometimes the best way to save and ruin something is silence. You just need to pick when you need to speak up and when you need to stay silent.

I learnt that asserting myself has been the most difficult thing that I have done this year.

Finally, I learnt that skincare will always be the thing I will turn to after a bad day.

Alright 2020, a new decade, that's already a great premise. Make things happen!

Comments

Popular Posts