Baarish Playlist 2.0

Everytime I watch Ye Jawaani Hai Deewani I always find myself relating to Naina, and it is always for this very dialogue. When Bunny and her, they have this conversation, or rather a repartee about what is awesome about travelling and being in one place. She says everything that I love, gajar ka halwa, Maratha mandir mein DDLJ and more importantly, Mumbai ki baarish! It is here again, the love of my life, the boon of my existence in this city, the reason for the glow on my face that refuses to fade away. This season slows me down, but not in a bad way. I stop and smell the roses, soak in the majestic petrichor and let the droplets engulf my very soul. Romantic as it is, I have a lasting relationship with the rains, especially the rains in this city.

Along with my life, this season slows my playlist down as well. My dance-y numbers take a backseat and the soothing tracks gain precedence. Last year, I had named my favourite rainy songs, the cult ones, mostly old and some new. This time around, a few new songs have found their way into my playlist. So here are those songs as I remember them, not in an order of preference.

Hona Tha Pyaar – Bol

This is an old song, when Atif was a big thing, you know that phase! I had heard this song ages ago and had it on my iPod for a while, and then suddenly one of the days shuffle played this card and I couldn’t get over it. I heard it relentlessly and finally now it is a part of my baarish playlist! It is extremely soothing and has some amazing guitar work.

Thaame dilon ki baahein, hum aate saalon mein, saalon mein
Paaye jawaab hum ne tere sawaalon mein, sawaalon mein
Khwaabon ki dor toote na yaar

Baarish – Yaariyan


This movie was a blink and miss, new kids, new faces, old story; basically no one really paid any attention to this movie. The soundtrack though was a super hit with aaj blue hai paani paani and A se aao re aao. On one of the lucky days that I got to hear the radio, yeah it was a lucky day, I heard this song. It was so beautiful  that I was shocked it was from this movie. It is soothing and the lyrics hit a chord somewhere.

Aankhein bhi paighaam ye de
Teri nazar ka hi ye asar hai
Mujh pe jo huaa


Dil keh raha hai dil se – Tera Chehra


I am a huge Adnan Sami fan, I am anyway partial to fat people and then he sings like a dream, not to mention the way he plays the piano *swoon*. Anyway, a lot of his songs were very famous, but this one did not see the light of day as much. Apart from being a beautiful track, this song had some beautiful piano work!

Mausam Bhale Badle Tum na badalna dilbar
Chahat ki raahon pe tum saath chalna dilbar
Pyaar ki bekhudi, keh rahi, aashiqui,
Jaanejaan meri yaad rakhna..

Ilahi – Ye Jawaani Hai Deewani



The soundtrack of this movie again was amazing, each and every mood was taken care of and understood. This song did not catch my fancy at first, but then the first day it rained here I listened to this song and somehow it made sense to me. This song kind of told me to fly high and to stick to my roots at the same time. It is about wanderlust but it is also about going back to where you belong.

Mera falsafaa kandhe pe mera basta
Chala main jahaan le chala mujhe rasta
Boondon pe nahin
Gehre samandar pe...

Zaroori Tha – Rahat Fateh Ali Khan



This song was one of the very few songs that I have seen on video before I heard it. It was around the time that bigg boss had just gotten over, and someone told me about the famous pair being in this song. I heard this song and got attached to it instantly. Anyone who has ever let go of someone they love, or ever walked away will relate to this. The lyrics and the timely use of Urdu was one of the most beautiful things in this song apart from Rahat Fateh Ali Khan’s voice. Later when I saw Hamari Adhuri Kahani, this song showed up and I felt really cool for already having falling in love with it.

Mohabbat mein dagha ki thi So kaafir the so kaafir hain
Mili hain manzilein phir bhi Musaafir thhe, musaafir hain
Tere dil ke nikaale hum Kahaan bhatke, kahaan pahunche

Dard Karaara – Dum Laga ke Haisha



This is a fun one. I am a 90s kid, for me Anu Malik is the godfather of rapping and Kumar Sanu the golden voice. My iPod has about 80 percent shady, or rather songs from my time. I miss the 90s and when this song came out, it was instant love. Somehow I haven’t stopped listening to it since.

Abhi abhi dhoop thi yahaan pe lo
Ab barsaaton ki dhaara
Jeb hain khaali, pyaar ke sikko se
Aao kar lein guzaara

Romance like SRK – Mashup



This is the most beautiful thing Yash Raj has ever done for me. On YouTube one day, while surfing I came across YashRaj’s channel and there it was – this beauty. With all of SRK’s best songs slowed down and simmered to perfection.

Kabhi Jo Badal Barse - Jackpot



This one is an obvious choice, it is beyond amazing and when it is raining outside it just starts making sense to you and then of course you have Arijit Singh serenading you. This movie though, well I don’t know if it lasted more than a weekend.

Koi nahi.. tere siva mera yahaan
Manzilein, hain meri to sab yahaan
Mita de sabhi aaja faasle
Main chahun mujhe mujhse baant le
Zara sa mujhme tu jhaank le
Main hoon kya?

Ambarsariya - Fukrey



I had actually heard and gotten addicted to this song sometime around its release. This was one of those times when I heard this song so much that it kinda made me sick. So I stopped. Now it is back on my playlist, and with the rains outside Sona Mohapatra’s voice just makes perfect timing.

Nahin main surma paana 
Roop na main chamkaana 
Nain nasheele ho agar toh 
Surmey di ki lod
Sun Saathiya – ABCD2



Obviously this is a new addition to the playlist. But I had heard this song in the first part of this movie, when Lauren’s character is rehearsing and I searched far and wide for this one. But as luck would have it, I found the song and it was timed perfectly.

Tar jaaun tar tar jaaun
Dariya ye tar jaaun jee
Ishq ye paake main tera
Nikhar jaaun ri...

So tell me, what's on your baarish playlist??

For the cult songs, go here!


Comments

Popular Posts