The calm before a storm


Relationships were never going to be easy. Ask all the ones who have been in relationships that have lasted and they will tell you that at one point or another they did want to kill each other. On a serious note though, at one point or the other, they have thought of calling it quits. And THAT, that right there is what keeps them together. The choice, the part where they pick each other despite and in spite of everything

I do not agree with you. 

Kimberly was tired of these interruptions. She had to finish this article and there was one person who was listening and he was the one who was making it all the more difficult.

LUKE! You don't have to agree with me. You just have to listen to it and tell me if it sounds okay. 
But if I don't agree with you, it obviously doesn't sound okay to me, right?

Why did she always get herself into these discussions was a mystery to her.

Fine, what's not right?
This thing about choice and choosing each other despite of everything. Shouldn't that come naturally to you in a moment of anguish? It does not make sense that people choose to make this choice you know? 
Why doesn't it make sense? We have fought multiple times and WE have definitely tried to quit it all a lot of times. We made the choice to be together despite all the damn odds being against us, then why does it not make sense to you Lucas Donovan?

Luke knew he was in trouble, his full name was being said and now he had to come up with something that would calm her down first. But the universe had heard his plea for help and sent showers to help him. Rains calmed Kimberley down and made her happy. He could now have time to process his thoughts as she instinctively moved to her favourite spot by the window and looked out.

Kim, what you have written is right but I do not understand why you have to put it on paper. I do not understand why you need to tell people that you need to choose your partner. If that choice doesn't come to them naturally during that moment when they are about to quit, then it is probably time for them to quit, right?

Kimberly finally understood what he was getting at.

So, you're saying that if I put it down that you need to choose your partner to be together for a long a time, people might listen to me and hang on to something that isn't worth hanging on to?
YES!
But Luke, what if me saying this and them thinking about reading this in some far off magazine is what saves something that was worth holding on to? You know when we fought two years ago? I was almost ready to give up then, I was really ready. I had given it a lot of thought and I was willing to let this go. It was one of those days when I was about to tell you and then it got really calm and quiet. This was before the thunderstorm, and I was at peace even with this decision that I had made. While it was raining, I was so happy and then something hit me. While I have a few months of this downpour to keep me calm, the other months, you were my calm. You were the calm before any storm, the peace during the storm and the petrichor after. I had forgotten that and I was ready to let go of something that made me feel the way rains did. I had the calm before the storm to remind me of that. I put this down on paper because sometimes you need to see it on paper, choose this feeling one more time, give it one last chance and sometimes that one last chance is all you need. 

Lucas didn't realise when he'd found her and she was hugging him tight and why his eyes were damp. But he knew, he knew this was right. She was right.

Point well made, Mrs Donovan. 

Comments

Popular Posts