So you say it like that


"I don't believe anything you say."

Kimberly was miffed with her best friend as she made herself comfortable on his couch. "I can't believe you. Why do you want to do this now ANYWAY. It doesn't make sense at all. Why ruin a good thing?"

Adam is confounded. He has been having the same discussion over and over again with Kimberly for the past week. He has said everything he could and explained everything that should have been explained but he doesn't understand how she still is this adamant on her word. "Kim. I have told you so many times, how many more times would you like to discuss the same thing?" exasperated Adam runs his fingers through his hair. He moves Kimberly's feet and makes himself comfortable on the other side of the couch. It is almost like these movements are happening in auto-pilot mode. 

"ADAM!" she says moving closer to him on the couch as she's about to make her point, "YOU JUST SAID WE SHOULD GET MARRIED. THAT ISN'T SOMETHING YOU SAY LIGHTLY. IT ISN'T EVEN A JOKE. YOU AREN'T EVEN ADMITTING THAT YOU SAID IT WHEN YOU WERE DRUNK!" Kim is adding emphasis to each word as if she is trying to drill each word into his brain. Etch it in his consciousness, blinking exaggeratedly with every word she says. "Kim, I know what I said. And no I wasn't drunk. I wasn't delusional. I wasn't under the influence of any kind and yes I meant it," he said casually. 

"Which is why I want to know. Why did you say it? And if you meant it, how do you know? I have been around you for almost 20 years and this is when you decide to tell me. NOW, when we are both over the dating game and don't think we have any scope to find someone else," she said as she went back to her end of the couch looking accusingly at Adam. 

"Kim, I've always loved you. In every aspect. As a friend, as family and now I feel like it has become a romantic kind of love. It is just something I have been feeling and because you are my "best friend", I thought you should know," he says emphasising the double quotes with his fingers. "First of all, you have been someone who couldn't even emote anything more than a thumbs up and suddenly you're using all these big words. Second of all, how do you know I am not a last resort. I don't want to be anyone's last option when there's nothing else available. Lastly, I CANNOT BELIEVE YOU," as Adam hears her volume increasing on the last sentence he comes in and grabs her face between his palms. 

"Kimberly. Listen to me. I am talking about my feelings because that is what you do with a person you want to spend the rest of your life with. I am communicating with words because I am trying to show you that I can do what you do. USE WORDS. I love you, I have always loved you. Now I want to be with you because you and I are the only people in our lives who don't just know each other but have also accepted each other. We are absolute opposites but somehow it fits, we fit. Like a jigsaw piece. You aren't my last resort because you were the first person in my life. You are and always be my first person, that privilege was given to you even before any one of us could make that decision. We have been discussing this for a week, you have asked me a gazillion questions but you haven't said one word about you not liking me, you not wanting to be with me or you thinking this is a bad idea because you don't want it.  This has been about me because you need to know I am choosing you out of my own free will, just like you did when I said we should marry each other. I know you and you know me and more than that I think you want us to be together too. SO why don't you just stop asking the questions and making me go through drug tests and just accept that I will be marrying you sooner or later and that you will be stuck with me in this lifetime? You said you cannot believe me, but I know you want to. SO WHY DON'T YOU?" Adam finally released her face but his hands didn't move further away. 

Kimberly through a stream of tears says, "so say it like that, say it like you mean it. That's all I wanted last week. Couldn't you have done this before?" As she hugged him, her best friend, her confidant, the most annoying person in her life - she realised she didn't want to be the last resort  but she also realised that she definitely wanted to be the last something. 

Comments

Popular Posts