What's Life Without A Meet-Cute!



Listen to this. Adam, are you listening to me right now?

Kimberly had this very interesting habit. She would always speak to him while he had his headphones in or while he was working. It was one of the quirks he had gotten used to by now.

*Sigh* Yes Kim, I am all ears without headphones, he said as he took his headphones out.

Okay so listen to this, she is at a coffee shop urgently picking up coffee. She was late for her appointment. She was supposed to interview this actor for her magazine. She picks up her coffee, smiles her brightest at the barista and turns around and in a split second all of her coffee was finished. She didn't drink it, it was all on her dress. Without looking she started screaming at the person who had done this heinous deed. She finally looked up when she heard the person trying to apologise profusely and she found out it was the same actor she was supposed to interview and his posse was holding out tissues for her. She took them all and just walked away from the massacre.

Luckily she was at a shopping mall so she just called her camera person to tell him that she's going to be delayed by 10 minutes and scrambled to put a look together. At the interview, he was surprised to see her and was extra polite to her. He also gave long and in-depth answers to the most basic questions.

Finally, the interview ended and as she was bidding adieu to everyone one of his posse members gave her a bag with a card. The bag had a brand new pretty outfit and an apology card. He then came out and told her that he'd ruined her outfit and he wanted to apologise, so he sent his stylist to buy her an outfit. She says, "I don't remember your stylist dropping coffee on me. But it's a sweet gesture. Thank you, I'll keep the card." and she walks away. That's how they met.

What do you think?


Kimberly loved doing dramatic readings for Adam. She waited as he contemplated.

This one is nice, but what next?

I don't know. I just wrote the meet-cute. I have no idea what happens next. I don't know what should happen after they meet or how they fall in love.

You always do this, You write about how two people meet and then move on to the next one.

Yes, that's because I am looking for the perfect meet-cute Adam, she said putting her book down and making her way to him. She knew this was going to be another "discussion". She mentally rolled her eyes.


This isn't what life is right Kim? We don't just meet people and move onto the next one. Some people stick and that's what you want to write about. If you and I just had a meet-cute, we wouldn't be sitting here right now, would we!

My dear, sweet, almost on the verge of being angry and livid, Adam. I am writing a fantasy about real people. Our meet-cute was cute, but I want the perfect moment. I want a meet-cute that has everything.

But what next Kimberly?

Love is next Adam. Love. True or not, messy, haphazard, lovely love. But when someone narrates their love story they always start with how they met. It's that one moment they remember that that person was going to mean something to them and that moment was going to be recalled. It's that one moment that you will recall over and over again. To your friends, your relatives, at your wedding if it happens to the same person and even when you're old and dead. Every time you think about the person, your person you will always think about the first time you saw them. The first time sparks joy, and that's the joy I want people to feel when they read the story. I want them to feel the potential love story already brewing in their minds as they read about the time when my hero met his heroine. That is why the meet-cute my love because after the meet-cute you will either be together or you want but there will never be a second, first time you meet the same person. 


So I am asking you again, is this the meet-cute that will turn into love?

Yes, this meet-cute where I met Kimberly at a similar cafe, will definitely turn into love. But you need to work on a better one for your story, I don't think you're there, yet.

This is where she knew, no meet-cute will ever match up.

Comments

Popular Posts