Eye contact - Happy Ending


3 months later
Kimberly was going about her day when she got a call. It was a familiar yet unfamiliar person,
“Hi,” she said while trying to control her racing heart. 
“Hey, I am guessing you’re done with work, fancy a drive?” 
“Sure, I’ll be right down,” Kimberly wasn’t able to contain her excitement but she needed to look cool and feel calm and collected. She packed her stuff and took one last glance at herself in the elevator mirror. As soon as she stepped out, there he was, Kaleb. She was seeing him after three months and the eye contact? Still electrifying. They hugged each other and she sat in the car. She found two coffees waiting for them in the car. Silently sipping on coffee and listening to their favourite music they reached his favourite spot in the city. 
“So big speech time, are you ready?” he said as he took a deep breath. She braced herself and clenched onto her coffee cup with both hands and nodded at him. “As you already know and have been told, I had to break up with her. And this happened about 2 and a half months ago I want to say. I actually had an honest conversation with her to try and find the spark, because an intelligent person told me I wasn’t a douche. We honestly tried and realised it was a failed attempt and after countless more conversations, we decided it was time to part ways. I almost immediately wanted to call you, but then I remembered that the intelligent girl wouldn’t be convinced with just a call. So I took my time, was around attractive people. Hung out with a lot of those actually and I still couldn’t stop thinking about you. Met people with the same music taste, but still didn’t enjoy their company as much as I enjoyed yours, I…” he looked over at Kimberly and she was a puddle behind her coffee cup. 
“Can we not do the rest of the speech, just skip to the part where I have to agree with you and I will. I am just so happy to see you, that this speech won’t even matter,” she muttered in between sobs. 
He made her put her coffee cup down and held both her hands, “I worked really hard to memorise this speech. Please listen,” he said sincerely. “Fine, I need a towel then,” she said and gestured him to continue. “Basically I did it all, everything we did in that week, with attractive people and I still didn’t feel what I did when I was with you. So, Kimberly, I can’t guarantee there won’t be other attractive people. There will be. But there will just be one electrifying person with world-class hugs, and she needs to be with me. Are you convinced yet?” he said with a chuckle as he caught a glimpse of her through the top of a tissue box. 
“I told you to skip to the part where I will agree with you, and now I am a mess. I knew about your break up and I wanted you to call immediately, and I was really angry when you didn’t. Sometimes intelligent people also need a reminder. Now YOU give me a hug!” 

Comments

Popular Posts