Eye Contact- Part I


They met at a common friend's wedding. She knew who he was, he was an almost-celebrity, someone famous but not quite out there. But that isn't what brought him to her attention. It was this weird and instant connection they had as soon as they made eye contact. Kimberly wasn't someone to believe in love at first sight or even 50 sights. She wasn't about the rose-tinted glasses but she couldn't deny the electricity passing through her every time they made eye contact. It was uncharted territory for her and she didn't know what to do with herself. It was even odder because he was there with someone, his girlfriend or maybe something more. 
Kimberly was looking at him a lot, and every single time she managed to catch his eye at the same time. The eye contact wasn't stopping nor were the feelings. She knew she needed to cool off, and thanks to a big-fat-destination wedding, she had a night off at a luxurious hotel. She decided to make the most of her time at the hotel and go for a swim. With her favourite tracks playing, and a few laps in, she felt like she was regaining control. It was nothing, she thought to herself, maybe he is good looking and famous and that's why you're looking. It's nothing, she kept repeating to herself over and over again. 
"What's nothing?" she heard a familiar voice over her shoulder. "What's nothing?" 
"Oh, I didn't mean to say it out loud. Never mind I'm just talking to myself," she said through clenched teeth. She was suddenly very aware of the cold water and her lack of clothing. 
"Well, I guess I should stick around so you can talk to someone else. I am Kaleb by the way," he said sticking his hand out at her while standing at the edge of the pool. 
A few moments later she shook his hand, "I know, I'm Kimberly."
"Nice to meet you, care for some company? I can't get into the pool, but I could sit around if you don't mind," he said already pulling a lounge chair to the edge of the pool.
"Sure, I thought everyone was partying with the bride and groom, they said they were planning something in someone's room," she said, realising that silence wouldn't be a great thing right now. 
"Well, clearly not EVERYONE," he said pointing to her, "Honestly I just came down here for a walk and heard your music. You've been playing all my favourite tracks and I thought instead of listening to it in there, I should come out here and listen."
"Ah, same taste in music. I rarely meet people who like the songs I like to listen to. Enjoy! I'm going to get a couple more laps in before I freeze to death," at this point, she would've swum to the other end of the ocean to get away from the eye contact they were making. 
Every time she came up for air she'd see him staring at her, it was as electrifying as it was the first 100 times. She finally decided to step out of the water and change into something warm. When she got out of the changing room there were two coffees on his lounge chair that had miraculously gone back to its original spot with the other one. 
"I wanted some coffee and I thought you'd like some too, I mean I gave you company so it's only fair that you return the favour," he said as she approached the chair. She knew she should've walked away from this situation but she couldn't get herself to do it. She sat down with the mug of coffee. "I absolutely loved the silent company but wouldn't your girlfriend be looking for you?" That's right Kimberly, remind him about his commitments, get him to walk away. “Oh no, I texted her that I was here at the poolside with an old friend. She’s calling it a night,” he said still looking at her, barely blinking. “Old friend? Is that what I am? Isn’t this the first time we are meeting?” she said raising her brow at him. “I don’t think so. If I remember right, we have met when you were younger. A bunch of times, haven’t we?” Kimberly couldn’t believe that he remembered her from back then. He was right, “yeah, you remember, that’s nice.”
“You dance really well Kimberly, I haven’t been able to take my eyes off of you through the festivities, honestly,” he said while ruffling his hair. She thought it would be best to just nod through the statement and smile politely at the compliment, but then she decided to be honest, “I’ve actually been looking at you too.” “I’ve noticed,” he responded almost immediately. His quick response is what alerted her, “I don’t think we should be having this conversation honestly, we might be crossing some lines here, so I’m going to bow out. I really loved the company and thank you so much for the coffee, I’ll see you around Kaleb,” she said as she gave him a quick hug and hustled out of the situation. 

Comments

Popular Posts