Eye Contact - Part II


The next few days were a blur. Wedding festivities, meeting so many new people, dressing up but somehow despite all of this frenzy, Kimberly found herself around Kaleb a lot more. It was dinner the first night where she met a bunch of people and they turned out to be his close friends. Then at brunch and they had had a couple more coffees through the days. She didn’t want things to be uncomfortable and they weren’t. She was surprised at how easy flowing this was. The conversation, the company, and eye contact. 
It was the last night at the hotel, all of the festivities were done and they were all headed back home the next afternoon. Kimberly just wanted to enjoy her time in her room and watch some TV and order room service. There was a knock at the door, she knew she shouldn’t be opening it, but she did, “Hey, can we talk?” It was Kaleb, “I just have a few things to say, maybe you don’t mind going for a walk?” She was caught off-guard, he did not want to sit in the room, she couldn’t say no. There was a long silence as they got in and out of the elevator and went out on the deck. One round around the pool, and then another one. The silence was only punctuated with them locking eyes with each other waiting for someone to make a sound. 
“Okay, I think we have burned off the dessert we had for lunch, do you want to start talking?” she finally asked him. “Yes. Okay. I know this sounds awful right now but it needs to be said. I feel something really strong for you, I really feel like there’s something electric in between us. Every time we’ve looked at each other it’s just been insane. I can’t stop thinking about you, even when I’m with her. I know it’s an awful thing to say but it is the truth. The more I’ve gotten to know you the more I feel. I really like you Kimberly, and I just have to say it,” he let out a loud sigh and stretched as if he just ran a marathon. 
“Oh, well I like you too. I thought that was obvious. I do feel exactly like you do,” Kimberly said with a shrug. “That’s…. I wasn’t expecting that. You, I, I didn’t...,” Kaleb was blabbering. He looked into her eyes and he knew what was about to happen, “there is a but here isn’t there? This is because I am with someone else and you don’t want to be the other woman? But you won’t be…” he was interrupted by her. “Kaleb, it’s not about being the other woman. C'mon look at the time we are in. Honestly, you can find someone who fits right with you at any time in your life. Even if you’re with someone or alone. Or even if you’re married or not. This is a natural thing, and we are grown up enough to address it.” Kaleb started pacing while running his hands through his hair, “still waiting for the but here.” “Let’s sit,” she said gesturing to the lounge chairs. 
“Kaleb there’s a reason why I am picky about my relationships and haven’t been in one in a while. I don’t like who I become when I am with someone. I’ve been insecure about a lot of things in my life and that just doubles when I am with someone. With you, I just won’t be insecure about you being attractive and being surrounded by attractive people, but I would be insecure about you finding the spark with someone else while you are with me. Just like you are doing right now. I know I won’t be the other woman, I know you are not a douche who will lead someone one. You would break up with her but I will always think about how you might do the same to me. The thought process is absolute garbage but when you’ve been around this long, you just find ways to protect yourself, even if it keeps amazing things away from you,” she said finally holding his hand. 
“I’ve been on the other side of this and it’s not a great place to be. Listen, I know you’ve been with her much longer than you’ve been around me. Maybe you can find your spark again or not. But if you don’t please let her down easy, don’t tag her along because you are afraid to be alone or don’t feel like. Make decisions for you Kaleb, not because you feel something for a stranger,” she said as she stood up. “Thank you for being honest with me, and I am glad I’m not the only one who felt the electricity,” she said as she locked eyes with him once again. 
“I understand, I don’t know if I agree but I am not going to convince you right now. But I will need one of your world-class happiness-inducing hugs to help me sail through this,” he said already opening up his arms. Kimberly didn’t want to let go, nor did he, but it was time. As she walked away she looked back one last time to feel the electricity. 

Comments

Popular Posts